Magenbrot (sweet pieces of bread)
Ingredients for approximately 80 pieces (depending on the size of a single piece):
- 250 g (9 ounces) honey
- 250 g (9 ounces) sugar
- 3 tablespoon water
- 100 g (3.5 ounces) butter cookies (for example "Petit Beurres")
- 550 g (19.5 ounces) wheat
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger bread spices
- 1 pinch of cloves powder
- Half of a lemon
- 125 g (4.5 ounces) candied orange peel
- 1 or 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 dl (3.5 fluid ounces) milk
Prepare the dough the night before you bake:
- Mix honey, sugar and water in a bowl.
- Put bowl in a pan with water and heat up until the mixture is about 60°C (140°F) warm.
- Grind cookies
- Mix cookies, wheat, cocoa powder, cinnamon powder, ginger bread spices and candied orange peel in a bowl.
- Rub off some paring of the lemon into the bowl.
- Mix baking soda into milk.
- Put milk (6.) and honey mixture (1.) into bowl with cookies (4.).
- Mix everything well to a dough.
- Briefly knead the dough.
- Leave the dough over night at a cool place but do not put it into the refrigerator.
- Heat the oven up to 200°C (400°F).
- Cut the dough in four pieces of the same size.
- Make roles of about 2 cm (1 inch) diameter.
- Put a baking paper on a baking sheet (also known as baking tray) and place the four roles of dough on it. Make sure there is enough room between the roles.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the middle of the oven.
- Let the dough cool off
- Cut the roles slightly angular in pieces of about 2 cm (1 inch).
Ingredients for frosting:
- 300 g (10.5 ounces) sugar
- 1 dl (3.5 fluid ounces) water
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Put water and sugar into a pan and boil for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir while boiling, The fluid becomes like sirup.
- Add cocoa powder and mix well.
- Warm up a chrome steel bowl in water.
- Put one third of the pieces in this bowl and dribble one third of the frosting on the pieces. Turn over the pieces carefully until evenly covered with frosting.
- Take the pieces out of the bowl and put them on a baking paper to dry off.
- Repeat the same process with the other two thirds.
Note: Store the Magenbrot in a dry and sealed box. Do not store too long, the Magenbrot will dry off and get hard.
Home | Administration | Cantons | Culture | Economy | Education | Geography | History | Statistics | Various | FAQ | Index | Search