Chräbeli (Anise cookies, Christmas treat)
Ingredients for approximately 60 cookies (depending on the size of a single cookie):
- 4 eggs
- 450 g (16 ounces) confectioner's sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1½ tablespoons of anise
- 1 tablespoon of kirsch
- 550..600 g (19..21 ounces) flour
- Put eggs, confectioner's sugar, salt, anise and kirsch in a bowl and stir about 5 minutes until well mixed.
- Add flour and mix into a dough.
- Form rolls of about 1.5 cm (0.6 inches) diameter and cut in pieces of about 5 cm (2 inches) length. Cut in each piece about 3 times slightly angular and bend them slightly.
- Slightly grease baking sheets and put the rolls onto it to dry. Do not use baking paper sheets. Do not move the pieces. Let them dry for 24 to 48 hours at room temperature. Make sure there is no draught.
- Bake them for about 25 minutes in the lower part of the pre-heated stove at 140°C (285°F). Keep the door of the stove a bit open. Let the cookies cool down and remove them from the baking sheet with a scraper.
- Instead of forming rolls, you may roll out dough on a flat surface, approximately 1 cm (0.4 inches) thick. Put out shapes and treat them as described above.
- Use models to create forms, then treat them as described above.
Home | Administration | Cantons | Culture | Economy | Education | Geography | History | Statistics | Various | FAQ | Index | Search